STAY SAFE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON
During this time of year, while most of us may be busy shopping and running errands in preparation for the holiday celebration, criminals will be prowling around looking for easy targets to rob of them of cash and other valuable items. Be on your guard this season.
CRIME PREVENTION TIPS FOR YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY
- Seniors should go out with a trusted companion and do errands before dark whenever possible
- Beware when strangers offer to help with your bags.
- Be extra careful when carrying cash. Keep your purse towards your front.
- Pick your packing spot wisely.
- Walk on well-lighted busy streets. Stay away from vacant lots, alleys, dark deserted routes, even if they are the shortest.
- Have your car or house key in hand as you approach your vehicle or home.
CRIME PREVENTION TIPS FOR YOUR HOME
Always ensure that your home is secure and will not attract burglars. The responsibility rests on you to ensure that your property, home and family are safe.
- Be extra cautions about locking your doors and windows when leaving your home and at bedtime.
- Remove all obstructions around your surroundings that could serve as a camouflage for burglars.
- Burglars know where to find “secret” hiding places. Never hide keys outside, such as under a mat or flowerpot or door ledges.
CRIME PREVENTION TIPS FOR SMALL BUSINESS
Review your business layout and security. Is the layout vulnerable to burglary? What security system is in place? Businesses lose thousands of dollars each year to shoplifting.
Businesses must also consider the following safety measures:
- Use deadbolt locks
- Run a test on your alarm system to ensure it is functional
- Protect your business by using good lighting
- Remove valuables from window displays at night. Don’t invite crime into your business!
- Be sure your safe is fireproof and securely anchored.
- Keep the store neat and orderly. Check the layout of your store and use mirrors eliminate any blind spots that may conceal a robbery/shoplifting.
- Make regular bank deposits during business hours.